Monday, January 10, 2005

New Dress Makes Me Feel New Too.

Dear Friends,
Do you ever look into your closet and just feel like everything you have is familiar, but just not a reflection of you? That is how I feel about my clothes. There are those items that seem to shrink and grow with me as my shape has changed with all the babies. Many things I hang onto just because I am afraid of cleaning out my closet and having nothing left. I have quite a few Christmas outfits that just stay in style and yet aren't appropriate for wearing the rest of the year - shiny satin blouse, sweater with sequin zipper, long, red wool jumper, etc. I really don't have time to go shopping for clothes. When I have gotten desperate, I have gone to a local clothing store that sells Northwest classics, much like Eddie Bauer because I know the clothes will fit and work. But I just end up with basic separates that are "blah". The mall is 45 min. away and I avoid it at all costs. Seattle downtown shops are a ferry ride away, and that is an all afternoon excursion that I just don't have time to take. On a rare trip into Seattle in December for my daughter Amber's birthday, we went shopping. We went into all the regular department stores and nothing really caught my eye or even appealed to me at all. I know I am out of style when I can't find one pair of shoes that appeal to me in a place like Nordstrom's! There was one store however, that I have loved everytime I walk in. "April Cornell" has such feminine and lovely things in bright, cheerful colors. Because the day was about my daughter, I didn't linger long. But when Christmas was over, it occured to me that they might have a website. I found several lovely things on sale! Today, as I am recovering from the flu, feeling quite unlike myself, my package arrived. What a treat to wear my new dress and feel new again! It is a lovely rose color, with rose profiles overall and it has a fitted bottice, although loose, a tie in the back, and lovely 3/4 length sleeves that have a split inside the wrist so they flare open. Now I can get back to the things of life, back to myself. Time for a cup of tea in a cup and saucer. No more mugs. I am a lady.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Now, why does it NOT surprise me that we both love April Cornell? Even this minute, I have one of their skirts on. (muttering to myself as I type!) At a small near our house, there's an April Cornell outlet. The store's cute and the clothes and all....dee-lish!