Sunday, November 07, 2004

Sunday - The Lord's Day

Today was a typical Sunday. We woke, slammed down breakfast, bathed kids, dressed kids, found shoes, packed our contribution to our "Common Meal" (potluck), and were in the car by 8:45 to drive to church. We left Brian,12 at home because he had lost his dinner at 5 AM at an unfortuate friend's sleep over.

We taught Sunday school, went to service, ate lunch, and enjoyed the fellowship. Louie had a chance to talk to a fellow about Boy Scouts for our sons and is considering joining their troop, which has a decidedly Christian worldview. It is an exciting opportunity. I hope that the boys can join. My Logan, 15 is desperately in need of friends, especially ones that are Christian and have similar interests. Logan is my "outdoors" boy. I was glad to learn that it isn't too late for him to join BS.

On the way home from church, we stopped at a Strawberry Park and watched our oldest boy, Kellen, play in his soccer game. His select team tied 2-2. We left before it was over because the girls and I had a bridal shower to attend. Kelli, our Meghan's friend is getting married in December and our Charlotte,3 is going to be the flower girl and Meghan,20 a bridesmaid. The shower was fine, but a when a couple is not Christian, somehow the celebration is just not as significant. It's just so sad that they don't know the spiritual aspects of their union.

This evening has been relaxing, we've read the paper, ate leftovers for dinner, and kids have been picking up their rooms. One of my favorite shows to watch is Ultimate Home Makeover, so I'm kind of watching that right now.

One of the spiritual subjects on my mind has been about keeping the Sabbath, making the Lord's day special, set apart. I am not sure that I could get cooperation to drastically change our routine. One of the changes that I have been making is getting the house tidied up the day before and having the kids lay out the clothes that they want to wear to church. This is really helping to save time. It also makes it so that I am less compelled to clean house when we come home from church. I am trying to make subtle changes that won't impose changes in our routine that my hubby hasn't approved or implemented, yet am praying that we will honor the Lord on His day and convict Louie if there is to be more change.

Today I brought Corn Chowder to our Common Meal and everyone loved it, so I will post the recipe.

Corn Chowder
Serves a crowd.
2T. butter
1/2 sweet onion, chopped finely
1 red pepper, chopped finely
5 celery stalks, chopped finely
1 1/2 lb. chicken breast, cut into small bite sized chunks
saute the above until chicken is cooked and vegies are well sweated (is this a word?)
add the following
10 potatoes diced
4 cups frozen corn
1/2 t. margoram
1 t. salt
pepper to taste
cover the above with chicken stock, and let cook on medium high until potatoes are cooked through,let cool down to a simmer, add 1 qt. half and half. Put half the soup solids with some liquid into the blender and puree, adding it back to the soup for some thickening.
This soup is much better the second day.
Enjoy!


No comments: