Monday, November 08, 2004

Thinking about Thanksgiving

Well, I was really in the mood for Thanksgiving to be at our house this year. I just didn't want to go out, yet again. We determined that this year was Thanksgiving with my folks, the Bergens and my 94 year old Grandpa Canright and 95 yo Grandma Louella, and Christmas with Louie's folks. This switches every year. Thankfully my mom was game for everyone to come here this year. I can't help but feel a little emotional about it, with Meghan out on her own now and Amber going off to Africa soon. Mom just said, "What do you want me to bring?", so that has been on my mind as I think about a menu for the big day.

THANKSGIVING DINNER
Turkey w/Cranberry Chutney
Stuffing w/ Raisins
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Yams with Pecan Topping
Green Veggies (yet to be determined)
Cranberry Salad
Deviled Eggs
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
I was thinking about decorating and setting the table. Last year I saw some great Pilgrims for a centerpiece at Robert's Jeweler's in downtown Winslow. I hope they have them this year too! They stood about 8 inches tall and were so quaint. Come to think of it, there was an American Indian too. My mom brought me two white serving bowls today that will match my dishes nicely. I love the smell of beeswax candles burning, and they are so much fun to make with the kids. We get the sheets of beeswax that looks like honeycomb, and roll them around a wick. You can also press pieces of beeswax into it, shaped like leaves, or holly for Christmas. It's a fun activity.
One project that I have to get done is my windowseat covers so that I can use the windowseat in my dining room as a banquet. It literally doubles as a bench, seating at least 5 people. I've been putting it off because I haven't yet found the last fabric for one side of the cushions. What I have is black and white toile for one side, and red and white pillow ticking for the sides. I really want a rose print for the other side, so I can reverse them and get a different look. I haven't yet found the just the right one. The welting will be done in opposite fabrics for each side, so that the toile side will have the rose print for welting, and the rose print side will have the toile welting. I have a number of fabric samples that will make great throw pillows. Time to dust off my sewing machine and get started! It should be so cute when it's finished! Publishing this is definitely adding some needed pressure to get it finished! I'll post a photo when it's done.
I've wanted to invite someone to our family holiday dinner but we have always been the guest at one of our parent's homes so this year since we are going to be at home, I can invite someone! Hmm... I love the idea of extending hospitality to someone that would be alone otherwise. Time to look through the church directory!

1 comment:

melissa said...

Sounds like you've got it all in hand! You get me excited thinking about what I what to do...

Take care,
Melissa
http://www.themothershour.com/wp